Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Smoking is stupid

My conversation with Tai on the way to school went something like this.

Tai: Mom Remember when I was 3 and there was that guy smoking at Pizza Hut all around those other people.

Me: I cant remember that. Why?


Tai: I was just thinking about it?

Me: What do you think about smoking Tai?

Tai: I think its stupid and Gross!

Me: Well what would you do if one of your friends asked you to smoke with them? What if it was your very best friend and he said your dumb and you can't be my friend unless you smoke this?

Tai: I would say I really want to be your friend, but I am not going to smoke. Its bad for you and will turn all your insides black.

Me: That makes me very happy to hear that.

Tai: Mom, what is Champagne? Is that Alcohol?

Me: Yes it is? Where did you learn about Champagne?

Tai: I don't remember.(they offered it to us when we got on the boat) If you drink Alcohol does it make you not be able to read?

Me: I don't know, maybe for some people. What do you mean?

Tai: Like if you drink and try to read the word THE, would it come out sounding like THEE?

Me: Well Alcohol, makes your brain really cloudy and you cant think clearly so maybe that's what it would do. : )

Tai: Hmmm

We talked a little longer about the examples and good people that are in our life, and what to do if it ever came up and we don't need that stuff. Tai just gets things.


That was our 7 minute drive to school this morning. I was just thinking and worrying last night about the future and having to deal with this. I had no idea when this was going to come up today. But I am so grateful for these little moments, to get into a glimpse of my children's eyes and to share how I feel about it. I think children are so amazing and are faced with so much in this sick world. I also think we may not give them or ourselves enough credit
I am just so happy to have such a smart kid on my hands.

4 comments:

Shelly said...

That is so cute!

Katie said...

I love him... and all your kids. LOVE THEM!!!!!! He is so smart, just like his parents... you guys are awesome parents... you need to give yourself more credit! :)

Monica said...

He is such a smart kid :) he's got great parents so no wonder! I loved reading this. It's so real and yet so amazing.

Jonathan and Laura said...

Way to go Tai! That makes me a little emotional... What a good kid.